Puchilco means in native language “The Chilcoes” (fuchsia magellanica or hummingbird fuchsia). Here we begin our adventure and landing on Lemuy Island.
This place is characterized by its viewpoints, for having panoramic views toward the islands of Quehui, Chelin, Chaulinec, Apiao and Alao, as well as the view toward the Chaiten, Michimahuida and Corcovado volcanoes. There is a great variety of birds, in addition to the local species that nest and inhabit both the waterfront and the forested areas.
We will visit its church, located in the far eastern end of Lemuy Island, dating from 1850 which was later replaced for a larger one in 1854 by a minga (minka, communal voluntary work) in which the whole community participated in its construction. In 1927, the Peruvian painter and musician Miguel Gamarra performed the beautification of the ceiling of the temple’s nave, using a series of religious motives.
The church is 25.20 m long (82.67 ft,), 11.10 m wide (36.41 ft.) and its bell tower is 13 m high (42.65 ft.). It has a box-like structure with a central nave and two side aisles. It was built with tepa, canelo, cypress, laurel, and larch wood, and has a zinc roof. The temple is built on stones.
The agricultural activity is centered on self-consumption, producing mainly potatoes and garlic, which together with livestock and grazing supply part of the requirements of the families.